This question is more than six months old, so the information in the answer may no longer be accurate.
Visitor asks:

Dear Sir/Madam,
in primary school my upper first molar was treated and devitalized. I had no problems with it until another dentist in secondary school decided to replace the filling. Since then I have had problems with this tooth every year. First it started hurting, they placed and changed medication, took X-rays and closed the tooth again. The following year it started hurting again and the same story repeated. Almost every year the same. One year ago (I am now 22) it started happening even more often. Practically the whole year, almost every month, I was at the dentist with severe pain. She treated the tooth and within no more than a month I was back at her door, usually with a very swollen face. At the last examination I therefore asked the dentist to extract the tooth because I could no longer tolerate the pain. She looked at me in surprise and asked whether I really wanted that, since then the tooth would be gone. Of course I do not want that, but I cannot endure the pain indefinitely either. Afterwards I wondered whether I had made the right decision. I have read that you write a lot about teeth that may be a focus of bacteria and that sometimes there is no other option than extraction. But in my case I myself expressed the wish to have the tooth removed. The dentist even told me that if I changed my mind they could start treating it again. I do not know whether it makes sense to treat the tooth, since treatment has already failed so many times. I had already been scheduled for the extraction, but I happened to be ill at that time, so they gave me another appointment half a year later. Now this tooth has been open for almost a year and for the first time I have absolutely no problems with it. I would also like to know whether it often happens that upper teeth move on their own when one tooth is extracted. Both my mother and a friend had the second molar move into the place of the first molar within two years, and now they no longer have a gap.
Kind regards and thank you in advance for your answer.

Dentist Tomaž Rotar answers:

Dear Sir/Madam!

To decide about extracting the tooth, I would need to see X-rays (a local film and a panoramic radiograph). If the X-ray shows no pathological changes in the periapical periodontal tissues and the root-canal fillings are radiographically satisfactory, but the tooth still hurts, after a second attempt we most often decide to extract the tooth. Based on the course of treatment you describe, I believe the tooth has a poor prognosis.
It is difficult to say with certainty whether the second molar will move into the position of the first molar. Spontaneous movement depends almost exclusively on the patient's age and on the stage of eruption of the second molar at the time the second molar is removed.

Have a nice day!

✦ This content was translated from the original with the assistance of an AI translation system.
← Your questions